Published: 2021-05-25

Knowledge of disinfection and personal protective equipment usage amongst health care workers in the COVID-19 scenario

Ravi D., Vivek Anand, Arun Kumar Yadav


Background: Sudden amplification of COVID-19 from pneumonia of unknown etiology to a pandemic has led to overwhelming demand for healthcare resources. Among the critical components of infection and prevention control (IPC) in hospital settings is the mandatory use of personal protective equipment (PPE) by health care workers (HCWs). This study aimed to assess the knowledge of the HCW’s in the usage of appropriate disinfection procedures and PPE usage in each scenario as per MoHFW guidelines.

Methods: The study was a questionnaire-based cross-sectional study conducted in a COVID-19 hospital for one month from May 2020 to June 2020. The questionnaire was based on the MoHFW guidelines on disinfection and PPE usage and was pre-validated.

Results: Of the 146 HCWs who had responded, 50.7% were directly involved in patient care as frontline health care workers (FHCW), and the rest of 49.3% were non-frontline health care workers (NFHCW). 76.7% underwent training on PPE usage, 98 (67%) had training in disinfection procedures and PPE use. The knowledge of the HCWs, irrespective of them being frontline or non-frontline healthcare workers was lacking in certain areas.

Conclusions: As we understand more about the disease, more and more treatment protocols are developed, but the prevention of infection in HCWs depends on appropriate PPE usage and disinfection procedures.


COVID 19, Disinfection, PPE, Healthcare workers

Full Text:



Bogoch II, Watts A, Thomas-Bachli A, Huber C, Kraemer MUG, Khan K. Pneumonia of unknown aetiology in Wuhan, China: potential for international spread via commercial air travel. J Travel Med. 2020;27(2).

Rothan HA, Byrareddy SN. The epidemiology and pathogenesis of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. J Autoimmun. 2020;109:102433.

WHO. Fact sheet: IHR Emergency Committee on Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), 2020. Available at: Accessed on 10 October 2020.

Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Fact sheet: Guidelines on rational use of Personal Protective Equipment.pdf. Available at: Accessed on 10 October 2020.

Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Fact sheet: National guidelines for clean hospitals, 2015. Available at: default/files/7660257301436254417_0.pdf. Accessed on 10 October 2020.

World Health Organisation. Rational use of personal protective equipment for coronavirus disease ( COVID-19). Interim Guidance 19 March 2020. Accessed on 10 October 2020.

Wang J, Zhou M, Liu F. Reasons for healthcare workers becoming infected with novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China. J Hosp Infect. 2020;105(1):100-1.

WHO. Fact sheet: Health workers exposure risk assessment and management in the context of COVID-19 virus, 2020. Available at: Accessed on 13 January 2021.

Google Docs. Fact sheet: Knowledge Attitude and Practices of Health Care Workers (HCW), regarding usage of PPE and basic Disinfection procedures. Available at: Accessed on 10 October 2020.

Kermode M, Jolley D, Langkham B, Thomas MS, Holmes W, Gifford SM. Compliance with Universal/Standard Precautions among health care workers in rural north India. Am J Infect Control. 2005;33(1):27-33.

Bielicki JA, Duval X, Gobat N, Goossens H, Koopmans M, Tacconelli E, et al. Monitoring approaches for health-care workers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;20(10):261-7.

Zhang M, Zhou M, Tang F, Wang Y, Nie H, Zhang L, et al. Knowledge, attitude, and practice regarding COVID-19 among healthcare workers in Henan, China. J Hosp Infect. 2020;105(2):183-7.

Sikkema RS, Pas SD, Nieuwenhuijse DF, O’Toole Á, Verweij JJ, Linden A, et al. COVID-19 in health-care workers in three hospitals in the south of the Netherlands: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020;20(11):1273-80.

Liu W, Tang F, Fang LQ, Vlas SJD, Ma HJ, Zhou JP, et al. Risk factors for SARS infection among hospital healthcare workers in Beijing: a case control study. Trop Med Int Health. 2009;14(1):52-9.

Ayinde O, Usman AB, Aduroja P, Gbolahan A. A Cross-Sectional Study on Oyo State Health Care Workers Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Regarding Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Res Gate. 2020.

Lai X, Wang X, Yang Q, Xu X, Tang Y, Liu C, et al. Will healthcare workers improve infection prevention and control behaviors as COVID-19 risk emerges and increases, in China? Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2020;9(1):83.

Chan R, Molassiotis A, Eunice C, Virene C, Becky H, Chit-Ying L, et al. Nurses’ knowledge of and compliance with universal precautions in an acute care hospital. Int J Nurs Stud. 2002;39(2):157-63.