DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20200438

Adverse drug reactions in patients taking anti tuberculosis therapy from directly observed treatment short course centre at Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences, Mandya: a cross sectional study

Shambhulinga Kambale, P. Subhas Babu, Nagaraja Goud B., Harish B. R.

Abstract


Background: Ending the tuberculosis (TB) epidemic by 2030 is among the health targets of the sustainable development goals. Side effects to anti-TB drugs are common and may lead to reduced compliance to treatment. These adverse effects must be recognized early to reduce associated morbidity and mortality. Objective of this study was to determine the adverse drug reactions (ADR) to anti-tubercular therapy among patients visiting directly observed treatment, short-course (DOTS) centre MIMS, Mandya.

Methods: A cross sectional study was conducted at DOTS Centre MIMS, Mandya. TB patients registered at DOTS Centre during the year 2018 were selected for the study. Verbal informed consent was taken from the TB patients and interviewed using pretested semi-structured questionnaire. Data analysis was done using descriptive statistics and chi square test.

Results: Among the study population (n=90), 67 (74.4%) experienced ADR among which 47.7% took treatment for ADR and the remaining 52.3% patients were given reassurance. In this study, gastrointestinal manifestations (42.3%) were the most common adverse drug reaction (ADR). Of the TB patients who experienced ADR, 9.0% of them had interrupted ATT, however they completed full course of ATT.

Conclusions: A considerable number of TB patients taking ATT experience ADRs and some of them may have to interrupt treatment. However, they need to be counselled or supervised with caution to complete their course of treatment to reduce the chances of treatment default and also reduce the occurrence of drug resistance.


Keywords


Anti- tubercular therapy, Adverse drug reaction, Directly observed treatment short-course

Full Text:

PDF

References


Burden of tuberculosis. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ tuberculosis. Accessed on 22nd May 2019.

Bedi RS. Pyrazinamide- induced hypersensitivity reaction. Indian J Tuber. 1990;37:41.

Tandon RK, Garg PK. Antituberculosis treatment induced hepatotoxicity. In: Sharma. S K, Mohan, Tuberculosis. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers; 2004: 500.

American Thoracic Society. Treatment of tuberculosis and tuberculosis infection in adults and children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;149:1359-74.

Ormerod LP. Chemotherapy and management of tuberculosis in the United Kingdom: recommendations of the Joint Committee of the British Thoracic Society. Thorax. 1990;45:403-8.

Xia YY, Hu DY, Liu FY, Wang XM, Yuan YL, Tu DH. Design of the anti-tuberculosis drugs induced adverse reactions in China national Tuberculosis prevention and cotroscheme study. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:267-76.

Revised national TB control programme technical and operational guidelines for tuberculosis control in India 2016. Available at: https://tbcindia.gov. in/showfile.php?lid=3197. Accessed on 22nd May 2019.

Singh AK, Pant N. Adverse effects of first line anti-tubercular medicines on patients taking directly observed treatment short course: A hospital-based study. Inter J Med Pub Health. 2014;4(4):354-8.

Dhingra VK, Rajpal S, Aggarwal N, Aggarwaln JK, Shadab K, Jain SK. Adverse drug reactions observed during DOTS. J Commun Dis. 2004;36:251-9.

Tak DK, Acharya LD, Gowrinath K, Rao Padma GM, Subish P. Safety evaluation of antitubercular therapy under revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme In India. J Clin Diag Res. 2009;3(2):1395-401.

Priyadarshini Bai G, Ravikumar P. A study on treatment outcome and adverse drug reactions among extra pulmonary tuberculosis patients treated under DOTS in a tertiary care hospital. Inter J Basic Clin Pharmacol. 2017;6(1):48-52.

Mohammad A. Tag EI Din. Ashraf A, EI Maraghy, Abdel Hay R, Hay A. Adverse reactions among patients being treated for multi-drug resistant tuberculosis at Abbassia Chest Hospital. Egypt J Chest Dis Tuber. 2015:939-952.

Bhattarai S, Thapa P, Shrestha C, Dangol S, Niroula T, Verma SC. A study on socio-demographic pattern and side effects of anti-tubercular drugs among tuberculosis patients in pokhara valley. SAARC J Tuber Lung Dis HIV/AIDS. 2013;10(2):41-4.

Kurniawati F, Syed Sulaiman SA, Gillani SW. Adverse drug reactions of primary anti-tuberculosis drugs among tuberculosis patients treated in chest clinic. Int J Pharm Life Sci. 2012;3:976-7126.

Schaberg TK, Rebhan, Lode H. Risk factors for side effects of isoniazid, rifampin and pyrazinamide in patients hospitalized for pulmonary tuberculosis. Eur Respir J. 1996;9:2026-30.