DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20195493

Emotional intelligence of medical undergraduates: a cross sectional study

Ujwala U. Ukey, Sarita K. Sharma, Pragati Rathod, Sonali S. Patil, Sanjeev M. Choudhary, Uday Narlawar

Abstract


Background: Emotional intelligence (EI) is defined as the ability to perceive, access and generate emotions. This in turn will assist thoughts to understand emotions and emotional meanings and thus reflectively regulate emotions so as to promote both better emotional and intellectual growth. EI is essential for a competent physician. The present study was conducted to know the EI of medical students.

Methods: A cross sectional study was conducted at Government Medical College Nagpur among final year part 1 medical undergraduates. Data was collected with the help of pre tested, predesigned, self-administered proforma based on the “quick emotional intelligence self-assessment questionnaire”. Statistical analysis was done with epi info software and appropriate statistical tests were applied to prove the significance.

Results: Of the total 197 study participants, 100 (50.76%) were female students and remaining 97 (49.24%) were male students. Mean score for EI was 102.16 With 95% confidence the population mean is between 99.6 and 105.

Conclusions: Emotional intelligence for most of the study participants belonged to ‘consider strengthening’ category indicating good scores. Female medical undergraduates were more emotionally intelligent than male students.


Keywords


Emotional intelligence, Medical, Undergraduates

Full Text:

PDF

References


Chew BH, Zain AM, Hassan F. Emotional intelligence and academic performance in first and final year medical students: a cross-sectional study. BMC Med Edu. 2013;13:44.

Brackett MA, Salovey P. Measuring emotional intelligence with the Mayer-Salovery-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT). Psicothema. 2006;18(Suppl):34-41.

Salovey P, Mayer JD. Emotional intelligence. Imagin Cogn Pers. 1990;9:185-211.

Wijekoon CN, AmaratungeH, De Silva Y, Senanayake S, Jayawardane P, Senarath U. Emotional intelligence and academic performance of medical undergraduates: a cross-sectional study in a selected university in Sri Lanka. BMC Med Edu. 2017;17:176-87.

Salovey P, Grewal D. The science of emotional intelligence. Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 2005;14:281-5.

Codier E, Kooker BM, Shoultz J. Measuring the emotional intelligence of clinical staff nurses: an approach for improving the clinical care environment. Nurs Adm Q. 2008;32(1):8-14.

Arora S, Ashrafian H, Davis R, Athanasiou T, Darzi A, Sevdalis N. Emotional intelligence in medicine: a systematic review through the context of the ACGME competencies. Med Edu. 2010;44(8):749-64.

Jurkovich GJ, Pierce B, Pananen L, Rivara FP. Giving bad news: the family perspective. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2000;48:865-73.

Madhok P. Violence against doctors. Bombay Hosp J. 2009;51:301-2.

Khan MAI, Ahasan HAMN, Mahbub MS, Alam MB, Miah MT, Das GR. Violence against doctors. J Med. 2010;11:167-9.

Mohapel P. The quick emotional intelligence self assessment test. San Diego; 2010. Available at: http://www.sdcity.edu/portals/0/cms_editors/mesa/pdfs/emotionalintelligence.pdf. Accessed on 20 September 2019.

Sundararajan, Gopichandran. Emotional intelligence among medical students: a mixed methods study from Chennai, India. BMC Med Edu. 2018;18:97.

Datta J, Chetia P, Soni JC. Academic achievement, emotional maturity, and intelligence of secondary school students in Assam. Int J Sci Res. 2016;5(7):1159-71.

Faitar GM. Individualism versus collectivism in schools. Coll Q. 2006;9:12.

Ghada MHH, Elham A. The perception of emotional intelligence self-assessment among nursing students. Am J Nurs Sci. 2018;7(5):173-7.