DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20190637

A KAP study on snakebite and its management among medical interns in a tertiary care medical college and hospital in Trivandrum district, Kerala

Amritesh Kumar, Soumya Gopakumar, Sruthy Sathyan, S. Blessed Singh, Beena Idicheriya Bhasy

Abstract


Background: Snake bite is considered as one of the most significant health related problems throughout the world. According to the WHO, a snake bite is an important medical problem. It has been a neglected extrinsic injury in tropical and sub-tropical developing countries including India. It has been estimated that every year there are almost 83,000 snake bites and 11,000 deaths due to snake bites in India. The Goal of this study is to access knowledge, attitude and practice (KAP) among interns so as to find out gaps in academics and bridge them. Findings of this study will benefit community at large.

Methods: An institutional based cross sectional study was conducted for the entire batch of interns in a tertiary care center in Trivandrum, Kerala, South India during June–September 2018. A non-probability sampling was done. Data was collected by self-administered questionnaire.

Results: Among 100 students 48% had a score equal to and above 8 which was taken as good level of knowledge and 52% had poor level of knowledge. Attitude towards management of snake bite was 100% among study subjects. Only 35% of students had median score above 4 as good level of practice and remaining 65% had poor level of practice.

Conclusions: Respondents have adequate knowledge on snake bites. They discarded various prevailing myths in society. Although study showed adequate attitude towards management, that was not reflected in practice. This gap can be overcome by teaching in simulated environment, so as to make them competent enough for managing snake bites.

 


Keywords


Snake Bite, First Aid, Knowledge, Attitude, Practice

Full Text:

PDF

References


Chippaux JP. Snake bites: appraisal of the global situation. Bull world health organ. 1998;(5):515-24.

Kasturiratne A, Wickremasinghe AR, de Silva N, Gunawardena NK, Pathmeswaran A, Premaratna R, et al. The global burdedn of snake bite: a literature analysis and modeling based on regional estimates of envenoming and deaths. PloS Med. 2008;5:218.

Warrell DA. Snake Bite. lancet. 2010;375:77-88.

Saikia U, Sharma DK, Sharma RM. Checklist of the reptililian fauna of himachal Pradesh, India. Reptile Rap Newsl SAsian Resptile Netw. 2007;8:6-9.

Warrelo DA. WHO/SEARO Guidelines for the clinical management of snake bites in the Southeast Asian Region. SE Asian J Trop Med Pub Health.1999;30:1-85.

WHO. Snake bites. Available at: http//www.who.int.neglected_disease/diseases/snakesbites/en/index.html. Assessed on 7 August 2018.

Krishnaleela G, Meena SM, Praveena daya A. A study on snake bites among the rural population in Tirunelveli district. Int J community med Public Health. 2018;5(5);1762-5.

Bawaskar HS, Bawaskar PH, Punde DP, Inamdar MK, Dongare RB. profile of snake bite envenoming in rural maharastra, India. J Assoc Physician India. 2008;56:88-95.

Bawaskar HS, Bawaskar PH. Call for global snake–bite control and procurement funding. Lancet. 2001;357:1132-3.

Raina R, Raina S, Chander V, Jaryal A. Snake bites profile from a medical college in rural setting in the hills of Himachal Pradesh, India. Indian J Cri Care Med. 2014;18:130-4.

Subedi N, Paudel IS, Khadka A, Shrestha U, Mallik VB, Ankur KC. Knowledge of first aid methods and attitude about snake bite among medical students: a cross sectional observational study. J Occup Med Toxicol. 2018;13:26.

Silva A, Marikar F, Murugananthan A, Agampodi S. Awareness and perception on prevention, first aid and treatment of snake bite among Srilankan farmers. J Occ Med Toxicol. 2014;9:20.

Kumar A, Dasgupta A, Biswas D, Sahoo SKS, Preeti PS. Knowledge regarding snake bite in snake bite in rural Bengal-Are they still lingering on yths and misconceptions? IAIM. 2015;2(7);36-41.

Inthanomchanh V, Reyer JA, Blessmen J, Phrasisombath K, Yamamoto E, Hamajima N. Assessment of knowledge about snake bite management among health care providers in the province and two district hospital in Savannakhel province, lao PDR. Nagoya J Med Sci. 2017;79:299-311.