DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20174660

Immunization coverage in an urban resettlement colony of district Gautam-Budh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh, India using WHO 30×7 cluster sampling technique

Harsh Mahajan, Shalini Srivastava, S. Nagesh

Abstract


Background: Immunization is one of the most cost-effective interventions to prevent the suffering that comes from avoidable sickness, disability and death. In India, though immunization coverage has improved over the past few years, the country still accounts for the largest number of children who are not immunized i.e. 7.4 million. So, this study was taken up to assess the immunization coverage among children in District Gautam-Budh Nagar of Uttar Pradesh and to decipher the causes behind the partial immunization/non- immunization.

Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted during June-August 2015 in an urban resettlement colony of District Gautam-Budh Nagar in Uttar Pradesh among 210 children aged 12-23 months selected using WHO 30X7 cluster sampling technique.

Results: A total of 210 children were covered, of which 72.9% children were fully immunized, 19.0% children were partially immunized, whereas, 8.1% children did not receive even a single dose of any vaccine, thus constituting a total of 27.1% children with partial/no immunization. On bi-variate analysis, significant associ­ation was observed between immunization status among children and caste (p=0.047), mother’s education (p=0.01), father’s education (p=0.000) and socio-economic status (p=0.003). On multi-variate analysis, however, only father’s educational status was found to be significantly associated. The major reasons for partial/non-immunization among children were Ignorance (80.7%) followed by unavailability of vaccines (7.0%).

Conclusions: Immunization coverage found in the present study is still way short of the target of universal coverage. Therefore, health planners and policy makers in our country should develop a comprehensive strategy to achieve universal immunization coverage. 

 


Keywords


Immunization, Coverage evaluation, WHO 30×7 cluster sampling technique

Full Text:

PDF

References


Bonu S, Rani M, Baker TD. The impact of the national polio immunization campaign on levels and equity in immunization coverage: Evidence from rural north India. Soc Sci Med. 2003;57(10):1807-19.

Das NP, Mishra VK, Saha PK. Does community access affect the use of health and family welfare services in rural India? National Family Health Survey Subject Reports No. 18. 2001, Mumbai: International Institute for Population Sciences.

Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MOHFW), Government of India, 2013. Multi-Year Strategic plan 2013-17. Universal Immunization Programme. Reaching every child. New Delhi: MOHFW.

International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS), 1995. National Family Health Survey. (MCH and Family Planning), India 1992-93, Bombay: IIPS.

International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) and ORC Macro. 2000. National Family Health Survey. (NFHS- 2), 1998- 99: India, Mumbai: IIPS.

International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) and Macro International. 2007. National Family Health Survey. (NFHS-3), 2005–06: India: Volume I. Mumbai: IIPS.

International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS). National Family Health Survey. (NFHS-4), 2015–16-India Fact sheet: India: Mumbai: IIPS.

United Nations Children’s Fund. Coverage Evaluation Survey Report. 2009– National Fact sheet.

UNICEF. Somaliland Immunization Coverage Survey—July 2008. New York, USA: UNICEF, 2008: 17.

Henderson RH, Sundaresan T. Cluster sampling to assess immunization coverage: A review of experience with a simplified sampling method. Bull World Health Organ. 1982;60(2):253–60.

Sharma B, Mahajan H, Velhal GD. Immunization Coverage: Role of Sociodemographic Variables. Advan Prevent Med. 2013;2013:607935.

Agarwal S, Bhanot A, Goindi G. Understanding and Addressing Childhood Immunization Coverage in Urban Slums. Indian Paediatr. 2005;42:653-63.

Kadri AM, Singh A, Jain S, Mahajan RG, Trivedi A. Study on immunization coverage in urban slums of Ahmedabad city. Health and Population: Perspectives and Issues 2010;33(1);50-4.

International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS). National Family Health Survey. (NFHS-4), 2015–16-UP Fact sheet: India: Mumbai: IIPS.

Angadi MM, Jose AP, Udgiri R, Masali KA, Sorganvi V. A Study of Knowledge, Attitude and Practices on Immunization of Children in Urban Slums of Bijapur City, Karnataka, India. J Clin Diagnos Res. 2013;7(12):2803-6.

Gupta PK, Pore P, Patil U. Evaluation of immunization coverage in the rural area of Pune, Maharashtra, using the 30 cluster sampling technique. J Fam Med Primary Care. 2013;2:50-4.