DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20222908
Published: 2022-10-29

Healthcare workers infected with COVID-19 in a tertiary care center in Kerala

Sahya S. Dev, Joe Abhraham, Abraham V. Varghese

Abstract


Background: Health care workers are at the forefront of the fight against COVID-19. There is a high risk of them contracting the infection and then transmitting it to vulnerable patients and colleagues. Therefore, it is critical to investigate the prevalence and risk factors among HCWs. This study describes the characteristics of healthcare workers who tested positive for COVID-19 in a tertiary care hospital in India.

Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted among HCWs from a tertiary care center with a real-time - polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test positive for COVID-19 on a nasopharyngeal swab from July 2020 to January 2021. All healthcare workers with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection were contacted over the telephone to collect data regarding their probable source of contact, usage of personal protective equipment, and clinical course. Their treatment history was extracted using electronic health records.

Results: During the study period, 192 HCWs were RT-PCR positive for COVID-19. The mean age of the study participants was 34.01 years. Among the infected, 23.4% were male employees, while the remaining 76.6% were female employees. Nurses were most commonly affected (36.5%), followed by doctors (22.9%) and housekeeping staff (15.6%). Infected HCWs acquired the infection from the hospital in 73.4% of cases, while 38.6% had direct contact with patients or colleagues.

Conclusions: HCWs have an increased risk of COVID-19 infection at the workplace. Strengthening of infection control measures as well as strict follow-up of precautionary measures needs to be ensured, even during break time and work hours. 

 

 


Keywords


Health care workers, Nurses, COVID-19, Personal protective equipment, Duration of negativity, Epidemic curve

Full Text:

PDF

References


Ali S, Noreen S, Farooq I, Bugshan A, Vohra F. Risk assessment of healthcare workers at the frontline against COVID-19. Pakistan J Med Sci. 2020;36(S4): S99-103.

Heinzerling A, Stuckey MJ, Scheuer T, Xu K, Perkins KM, et al. Transmission of COVID-19 to health care personnel during exposures to a hospitalized patient Solano County, California. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69(15):472-6.

Risk assessment and management of exposure of health care workers in the context of COVID-19: interim guidance 19 March 2020. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;3:1-6.

Ran L, Chen X, Wang Y, Wu W, Zhang L, Tan X. Risk factors of healthcare workers with corona virus disease 2019: a retrospective cohort study in a designated hospital of Wuhan in China. Clin Infect Dis. 2020.

Kulkarni A, Khasne RW, Dhakulkar BS, Mahajan HC. Burnout among healthcare workers during COVID-19 pandemic in India: results of a questionnaire-based survey. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2020;24(8):664-71.

Omrani AS, Shalhoub S. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV): what lessons can we learn?. J Hospital Infect. 2015;23:188-96.

Rivett L, Sridhar S, Sparkes D, Routledge M, Jones NK, et al. Screening of healthcare workers for SARS-CoV-2 highlights the role of asymptomatic carriage in COVID-19 transmission. J Hosp Infect. 2020;30:1-20.

Graham MS, Sudre CH, Jorge M. Risk of symptomatic Covid-19 among frontline healthcare workers. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;186107.

Alajmi J, Jeremijenko AM, Abraham JC, Alishaq M. Since January 2020 Elsevier has created a COVID-19 resource centre with free information in English and Mandarin on the novel coronavirus COVID-19. J Hosp Infect. 2020.

Al Maskari Z, Al Blushi A, Khamis F, Al Tai A, Al Salmi I, et al. Characteristic of Healthcare Workers Infected with COVID-19, a Cross-Sectional Observational Study. Int J Infect Dis. 2021;102:32-36.

Chu J, Yang N, Wei Y, Yue H, Zhang F, Sheng G, et al. Clinical characteristics of 54 medical staff with COVID-19 : A retrospective study in a single center in Wuhan , China. J Hosp Infect. 2020;3:1-7.

Jin Y, Huang Q, Wang Y, Zeng X, Luo L, Pan Z, et al. Perceived infection transmission routes , infection control practices , psychosocial changes , and management of COVID-19 infected healthcare workers in a tertiary acute care hospital in Wuhan : a cross- sectional survey. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020: 1-13.