Knowledge, attitude, and behaviour of patients towards use of cough and cold preparations: a comprehensive surveyKnowledge, attitude, and behaviour of patients towards use of cough and cold preparations: a comprehensive survey
Keywords:Cough and cold preparation, Prescription drug, OTC medicine, Drug safety
Background: Cough, cold and related discomforts are the most common discomforts affecting general population, which can adversely affects subjects’ quality of life due to its physical, social, and psychological effects. To know the patients perception towards cough and cold preparation is need of hour for health care industry.
Methods: This study investigated the knowledge, attitude and behaviour of patients toward use of cough and cold preparations. Questionnaires were distributed to patients approaching to pharmacy for purchasing these drugs.
Results: The age group was from 17 to 55. In our study 66 % of patients reported that they prefer liquid oral formulation over other dosage form. Further in syrup formulations. Around 59% of patients are prescribed with some of the cough syrup while remaining 41% are purchasing OTC preparations. But 58% patients still not aware with concept of OTC medicine. Further 51% patients are not aware about the adverse effects of such preparations.
Conclusions: The study provides important insights into the use of cough and cold medications in general populations especially about OTC medications. There is need to create awareness in patients about safe use of these preparation, as the safety profile of drugs included in cough syrup is very important here.
Pan American Health Organization, PAHO. Surveillance, prevention and control of infectious diseases. 2007. Available at: http://www.mex.ops-oms.org/contenido/temas/prevencion1.htm. Accessed on 25 March, 2021.
Sanchez-Sosa JJ. Psychotherapy in Mexico: Practice, training, and regulation. J Clin Psychol. 2007;63:765-71.
IDM Group, Estudio cualitativo de usos, hábitos y actitudes hacia la categoría de antigripales, antiácidos y analgésicos, 2002. Unpublished Report. Available at: http://asp.salud.gob.sv/regulacion/pdf/guia/guia_clinicas_pediatria_v2.pdf. Accessed on 12 January 2022.
Sen Gupta S, Misra S. Self-medication practices: An exploratory study. Indian Institute of Management. Vikalpa. 1997;21:17-27.
Mariano A, Lechuga B, Angélica RR, Juan JSS. Risk perception of the self-prescribed use of Over the Counter (OTC) cold/flu medications. Int J Clin Health Psychol. 2009;9(1):73-88
India: OTC Cold and Cough Medicines Market and the Impact of COVID-19 on It in the Medium Term, 2021. Available at: https://www.marketresearch. com/Inkwood-Research-v4104/. Accessed on 12 January 2022.
Ambikar DB, Joshi KB, Bhosale AM. Knowledge and attitude of Indian expatriate working at Gondar, Ethiopia regarding yellow fever vaccination: a survey. Int J Community Med Public Health. 2020;7:946-50.
Roberto W, Dal N, Massimiliano M, Paola T, Alessandro Z. Cough: impact, beliefs, and expectations from a national survey. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Med. 2016;11:34.
Blaiss MS, Dicpinigaitis PV, Eccles R, Wingertzahn MA. Consumer attitudes on cough and cold: US (ACHOO) survey results. Curr Med Res Opin. 2015;31(8):1527-38.
Dicpinigaitis PV, Eccles R, Blaiss MS, Wingertzahn MA. Impact of cough and common cold on productivity, absenteeism, and daily life in the United States: ACHOO Survey. Curr Med Res Opin. 2015;31(8):1519-25.
French CT, Irwin RS, Fletcher KE, Adams TM. Evaluation of a cough-specific quality-of-life questionnaire. Chest. 2002;121(4):1123-31.
Resource use and costs of treating acute cough/lower respiratory tract infections in 13 European countries: results and challenges-Springer. Available at: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10198-010-0239-1/fulltext.html. Accessed on 12 January 2022.