Published: 2022-02-28

COVID-19 risk perception and protective behaviour among service providers at Yangon international airport

Kyaw Min Oo, Swe Mar M. Lwin, Khaing L. Mon, Hla H. Win


Background: International travel and trade have been increasing at the greatest rate around the world and at the same time, several emerging and re-emerging public health emergencies are threatening the safety of people. The aim of the study was to assess the knowledge, risk perception, and protective behaviour of COVID-19 among the service providers at the major designated point of entry in Myanmar.

Methods: The cross-sectional study was carried out among 216 service providers at Yangon international airport by using online telephone interviews during 2020. Participants with at least 6 months duration of working service (both private and public sectors) in their current area were included. Multiple logistic regression analysis was used to determine the factors influencing the protective behaviour of COVID-19.  

Results: All participants have heard about the COVID-19 pandemic and about (63%) also knew that coronavirus was the causal organism of the pandemic. Of 216 participants, only 18.5% had a low knowledge level. Overall good perception level towards COVID-19 was moderate to high. Majority (81.5%) reported good protective behaviour. Knowledge and perception of participants on COVID-19 did not influence the protective behaviour in this study, however, female (aOR=6.64, 95%CI=1.85, 22.61), and those who had long working hours (12 hours shift) (aOR=3.36, 95% CI=1.60, 7.05) had better protective behaviour on COVID-19.  

Conclusions: Although few service providers with limited knowledge and protective behaviour, most had good perception levels on COVID-19. Regular risk communication and awareness-raising activities were needed to increase the protective behaviours among the service providers at the airports.


COVID-19, Risk perception, Protective behaviour, Service providers, Airport, Point of entry

Full Text:



Singh DR, Sunuwar DR, Karki K, Ghimire S, Shrestha N. Knowledge and Perception Towards Universal Safety Precautions During Early Phase of the COVID-19 Outbreak in Nepal. J Community Health. 2020;45(6):1116-22.

WHO. Coronavirus, 2021. Available at: Accessed on 15 January 2022.

WHO. Situational Report, 2020. Available at: coronavirus19/searweeklyreports/weeklysituationreportweek431.pdf?sfvrsn=67cea43d_2. Accessed on 15 January 2022.

WHO. Joint external evaluation of IHR core capacities of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, 2017. Available at: mofaj/area/myanmar/data.html. Accessed on 15 January 2022.

WHO. Key considerations for repatriation and quarantine of travelers in relation to the outbreak of novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV, 2019. Available at: keyconsiderationsforrepatriation-andquarantine-oftravellers-in-relation-t. Accessed n 15 January 2022.

Quilty BJ, Clifford S, Flasche S, Eggo RM, CMMID nCoV working group. Effectiveness of airport screening at detecting travellers infected with novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Euro Surveill. 2020;25(5):2000080.

WHO. Republic of the Union of Myanmar, JEE Mission report, 2017. Available at: Accessed on 15 January 2022.

WHO. WHO Regional Office for Europe. Survey Tool and Guidance: rapid, simple, flexible behavioural insights on COVID-19. Monitoring knowledge, risk perceptions, preventive behaviours and trust to inform pandemic outbreak response. WHO. 2020;1-42.

Bloom BS. Taxonomy of Educational Objectives: The Classification of Educational Goals. Tennessee: Vanderbilt University; 1956: 1-2.

Azlan AA, Hamzah MR, Sern TJ, Ayub SH, Mohamad E. Public knowledge, attitudes and practices towards COVID-19: A cross-sectional study in Malaysia. PLoS One. 2020;15(5):1-15.

Mya KS, Hlaing WA, Hlaing SS, Aung T, Lwin SMM. Awareness, perceived risk and protective behaviours of Myanmar adults on COVID-19. Int J Community Med Public Heal. 2020;7(5):1627.

Alzoubi H, Alnawaiseh N, Mnayyis A, Lubad M, Aqel A, Shagahin H. Covid-19 - Knowledge, attitude and practice among medical and non-medical university students in Jordan. J Pure Appl Microbiol. 2020;14(1):17-24.

Kwok KO, Li KK, Chan HHH, Yi YY, Tang A, Wei WI, et al. Community responses during the early phase of the COVID-19 epidemic in Hong Kong: risk perception, information exposure and preventive measures. medRxiv. 2020.

Cvetković VM, Nikolić N, Radovanović NU, Öcal A, Noji E, Zečević M. Preparedness and Preventive Behaviors for a Pandemic Disaster Caused by COVID-19 in Serbia. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17(11):4124.

Moorthy V, Restrepo AMH, Preziosi MP, Swaminathan S. Data sharing for novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Bull World Health Organ. 2020;98(3):150.