DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20191823

A KAP study on water, sanitation and hygiene among residents of Parla village, Kurnool district, Andhra Pradesh

Rekha Hothur, Sreedevi Arepalli, Anusha Doddoju Veera Bhadreshwara

Abstract


Background: Ensuring access to safe drinking water and sanitation for rural people is the key catalyst for economic and human growth. However extreme poverty inhibits a significant portion of rural population from getting access to sanitation facilities and safe drinking water services. The study was conducted to assess knowledge, attitudes and Practices (KAP) with regard to water, sanitation and hygienic practices and to identify the socio-demographic factors in relation.

Methods: A cross-sectional study sample comprising of 236 households was conducted in the rural field practice area after obtaining Institutional Ethics Committee approval. Proportionate sample of 20% households were taken from each ward and houses were selected by systematic random sampling method. Knowledge, attitude and practices regarding water, sanitation and hygiene were assessed using pretested semi-structured questionnaire.

Results: Out of 236 households majority interviewed were females 169 (71.6%), illiterate (54.2%) and unskilled workers 122 (51.7%) belonging to class V socio-economic status 165 (69.9%). Household lavatory is absent in 114 (48.3%) households. Out of 122 (51.7%) households having sanitary lavatories only 59 (48.4%) were fully utilizing them remaining 63 (51.6%) households were going to open defecation even though sanitary lavatory was present. A significant association between defecation practice and socio-economic status, education were observed.

Conclusions: This study shows that even though they have sufficient knowledge on water purification, Sanitation and hygiene this was not translated into practice because of poor attitude.


Keywords


Water, Sanitation and hygiene, KAP, Kurnool, Socio-demography

Full Text:

PDF

References


World Health Organization. News-room, Fact Sheets, Drinking Water. Available at https://www. who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/drinking-water. Accessed on 04 February 2019.

World Health Organization. News-room, Fact Sheets, Sanitation. Available at: https://www.who. int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/sanitation. Accessed on 04 February 2019.

WHO/UNICEF JMP Progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene: 2017 update and SDG baselines.

World Health Organization. Millennium Development Goals. Available at https://www. who.int/topics/millennium_development_goals/mdg7/en. Accessed on 04 February 2019.

Clean Water and Sanitation. The Global goals. Available at: https://www.globalgoals.org/6-clean- water-and-sanitation. Accessed 04 February 2019.

Progress on Drinking Water and Sanitation-2014 Update. Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation 2014 Available at: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publications/jmp-2017/en/. Accessed on 04 February 2019.

Ministry of Drinking water and Sanitation. Guidelines for Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin. Available at: http://swachhbharatmission.gov.in/ SBMCMS/writereaddata/images/pdf/Guidelines/Complete-set-guidelines.pdf. Accessed on 06 February 2019.

UN Water Global analysis and Assessment of sanitation and drinking water GLASS 2014 report. Available at: http://www.unwater.org/publications/ investing-water-sanitation. Accessed on 04 February 2019.

WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme, Core questions on Drinking water and Sanitation for households surveys. Available: https://www.who. int/water_sanitation_health/monitoring/oms_brochure_core_questionsfinal24608.pdf. Accessed 20 January 2019.

National Family Health Survey (NFHS – 4), State Fact Sheet - Andhra Pradesh, 2015 -16: IIS, Mumbai, India. Accessed on 04 February 2019.

Bhattacharya M, Joon V, Jaiswa V. Water Handling and Sanitation Practices in Rural Community of Madhya Pradesh: A Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Study. Indian J Prev Soc Med. 2011;42(1):93-7.

Tripathy RM, Acharya GC, Karmee N. Assessment of wash practices among women in urban slums of Berhampur, Odisha: a cross sectional study. Int J Res Med Sci. 2017;5:4846-51.

Banda K, Sarka R, Gopal S, Govindarajan J, Harijan BB, Jeyakumar MB, et al. Water handling, sanitation and defecation practices in rural southern India: a knowledge, attitudes and practices study. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007;101(11):1124-30.

Ahmed A, Khan S, Alam M. Pilot Baseline Survey in Sarail Upazila of Brahmanbaria District”. Pilot baseline survey report for the Environmental Sanitation, Hygiene and Water Supply in Rural Area (ESHWSRA) project, prepared by UNICEF & DPHE. Proceedings of the 27th WEDC International Conference, Lusaka, Zambia. 2001: 51-53.

Department of Health and UNICEF. Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Study into Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in 24 Townships of Myanmar. Yangon, Myanmar, 2011.